If you live in an older home and/or you’re planning renovations, it is wise to consider the potential for asbestos exposure in your home. Removing asbestos from the home can be an arduous process.
The first step to removing this potentially dangerous material from your home is to properly identify it. Asbestos can persist in a variety of areas within your home including acoustic ceiling spray, floor tiles, linoleums, insulations, drywall/joint compounds, exterior stuccos, roofing, etc. Thus, it is very important to have testing performed prior to initiating the demolition or renovation process in your home. By contacting professionals, you can ensure that your home and your family is safe from asbestos exposure before, during, and after your renovation.
Long-term exposure to lead can be fatal. Lead can affect almost all organs of the body. Both children and adults can experience negative effects from lead poisoning. Even low amounts of lead exposure can result in severe health consequences.
Here are five household items that can be warning signs that you may have lead inside the house. You should contact a professional lead testing company if you suspect the presence of lead. This is important to avoid exposure to lead and to ensure the safety of your household members.
1. Piping and Paint in Old Homes
One of the most common sources of lead poisoning at home is piping and paint containing lead. Your house may have lead piping and paints if it was built prior to 1978. The federal government banned lead in consumer use paints that year. In general lead pipes were not used after the 1920s, but it was still allowed for solder in drinking water systems until 1986.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring silicate mineral. The mineral has exceptional insulating properties, and therefore it was popularly used in building materials up until the 1980s. However, the use of this mineral was curtailed after studies found that it contributed to various deadly diseases.
Exposure to asbestos fibers over a long period leads to an increased risk of developing asbestosis, pulmonary fibrosis, pleural plaques, malignant mesothelioma, stroke, and other cardiovascular diseases.
But how can you know whether your house contains asbestos-containing materials? Here are five tell-tale signs that could indicate the presence of asbestos-containing materials in your home.
Asbestos is a dangerous material that can lead to serious health complications. The material was a popular construction material due to its high heat and insulation properties. However, later a number of studies found the connection between lung cancer and asbestos exposure. As a result, the Environmental Pollution Agency (EPA) had banned certain asbestos-containing products in the US.
So, how does asbestos affect the lungs? Does it lead to a fatal lung disease? You will find out the answer to these questions in this article.
Asbestos is a mineral that can aggravate lung tissues. The naturally occurring mineral has been extensively used in building materials. But later it was found that long-term exposure to the material led to lung cancer. While the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has banned certain asbestos products such as flooring felt, a number of building and automotive products still contain this deadly material.
Taking measures to protect your household from asbestos exposure is important. Here you will find out about the steps you can take to prevent asbestos exposure in your homes.